smartd startup and md:recovery thread got woken up

Merrill Jr. Butterman feather_n_cap at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 21:24:20 UTC 2004

Hi Veteran Linux Users,
I took the plunge on fedora core ! about two days ago
and although I had probs with the updates, with a
little work on the internet I was able to solve it on
my own. however there are 2 things that are perplexing
me.
1. On fedora core boot up the service "smartd" fails
to start. To my best knowledge this service checks the
health of the disk drive. I have a dual boot system of
XP PRO and Fedora core ! on the same drive. would that
make a difference on if the service successfully
starts. How do I go about starting and configuring
this service to work?
2. On shutdown and when it gets to sending all
processes the term signal, I get a cryptic message of
"md: recovery thread got woken up" and then it
proceeds to send all processes the kill signal. Since
I'm new to this any help from the more seasoned users
would be much appreciated thanks
MButterman