Easy remote desktop on Windows

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Wed Mar 3 22:40:15 UTC 2004

I've been struggling to get a remote X desktop to so I can run GUI apps on the
Fedora box (downstairs) on my Windows box (upstairs). After screwing around
with various X-servers, I switched over to VNC today.  It's incredibly easy!

Here's a brief how-to for those interested.

1.  Install VNC server. As root, I used

   up2date vnc-server

2. After it installed

   chkconfig --levels 345 vncserver on
   cd /etc/sysconfig
   vi vncservers

       I added a line

   VNCSERVERS="1:myuserid"

       and to create an XSession on display #1 and saved the file.

   /sbin/service vncserver start

       to start the service

3.  Logged out, logged back in with "myuserID".

     vncserver

        It prompts for a password to be used for the VNC connection.

     cd .vnc
     vi xstartup

        I changed this file to start the normal BlueCurve desktop instead
        of a bare twm session  by commenting out the line

    twm&

        and adding

    exec gnome-session &

4. On the PC, I installed the VNC viewer from http://www.realvnc.com.
To connect to the linux box, I connect to

     mylinuxhost:1
--
   Steve