SCSI problem - Adaptec AHA-2940UW adapter in Compac Professional Workstation AP200

John Thompson JohnThompson at new.rr.com
Thu Mar 4 00:47:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:54:10 -0800 (PST)
Johnny Smith <opensource_powered at yahoo.com> wrote:

> When installing Core-1 on this box I get these
> messages 'initially during Boot Up'
>
> Scsi-ID 1 HP
>
> SCSI Bios'not installed'
>
> I have an HP Scanjet 4P  attached to this box.
> and SANE cannot find the scanner

These issues are unrelated.  When you boot your system, the SCSI adapter
scans the bus looking for bootable devices.  If it finds a bootable
device, the SCSI BIOS is loaded so you can boot from that device.
Unless you were planning on booting from your scanner, I'd have to say
the problem is elsewhere... :-)

> I'm not really conversant with SCSI.. and am not
> sure what I have to do next to deal with the
> SCSI Bios'not installed'  problem or
> exactly what the machine is telling me?

First, I assume that the scanner and adapter are known to be
working (not defective) and you have a good, working cable and
both ends of the scsi bus are properly terminated. Once you've
established that much, you'll want to determine if the scanner is
detected by the SCSI controller. Run"dmesg" and see if it shows up
anywhere in the boot messages (make sure the scanner is powered on when
you boot). If you don't see it there, try"cat/proc/scsi/scsi" and see
what turns up. From my system:

[john at starfleet john]$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IOMEGA   Model: ZIP 100          Rev: E.08
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DEC      Model: DLT2000 15/30 GB Rev: 840B
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DEC      Model: TZ88     (C) DEC Rev: CD50
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-R58S          Rev: 1.0M
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: SX4464524        Rev: B410
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: SX4464524        Rev: B410
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: SX4464524        Rev: B410
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: SX4464524        Rev: B410
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: SX4464524        Rev: B410
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: E-IDE    Model: CD-ROM 48X/TKU   Rev: T40
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: General  Model: USB Disk Drive   Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

No scanner, but you get the idea.

If there's nothing in /proc/scsi/scsi then there's something more
fundamentally wrong.  Assuming that your scsi support is in a kernel
module, make sure the module is loaded:

[root at starfleet root]# lsmod|grep scsi
ide-scsi               12016   0
scsi_mod              110248   7  [usb-storage sg sr_mod st ide-scsi
aic7xxx sd_mod]

The AHA-2940 adapter uses the aic7xxx module, so if you don't see it
loaded already load it manually with "modprobe aic7xxx"

Then run lsmod again to see that is loaded, check /proc/scsi/scsi again
and hopefully you should be on your way.

--

-John (JohnThompson at new.rr.com)