smartd startup and md:recovery thread got woken up

David Hunt david.hunt.linux at comcast.net
Thu Mar 4 01:30:14 UTC 2004

Merrill Jr. Butterman wrote:

>1. On fedora core boot up the service "smartd" fails
>to start. To my best knowledge this service checks the
>health of the disk drive. I have a dual boot system of
>XP PRO and Fedora core ! on the same drive. would that
>make a difference on if the service successfully
>starts. How do I go about starting and configuring
>this service to work?

I had the same problem on my Dell Inspiron 5100. It turns out that the
smartd.conf default location for the primary IDE drive, hda was actually
pointing to my CD-ROM, and as a result did not return the expected
modified my /etc/smartd.conf file to probe hdc instead, it worked fine.
Hopefully this helps in some small way.