sendmail issues...

Tim Welch tim at welchtech.net
Thu Mar 4 07:59:38 UTC 2004

A little background before my question...

I had been running redhat9.0 since release date.  I run a webserver, and
mail server on it.  I am connecting through road runner cable modem.  I
originally had a firewall box (running smoothwall) connected directly to
the internet, then from there, forward the ports on to my web/mail server
box.

All of the sudden one day, I think it was after I ran up2date (still using
redhat9.0)... Sendmail would NOT accept SMTP login connections at all.  I
tried from outlook, and from ximian.  And my sendmail was setup to
authenticate the user.  I had both outlook and ximian set up correctly,
and used them every day prior to this.

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl

I also had all my ssl certificates and everything set up correctly, or it
wouldn't have worked before for months upon months... I changed nothing in
the config files, and it just didn't work one day, and from thence
forward, I have had to use IMAP to retrieve mail.  When I try for smtp it
says this:

"did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN "

Now, I've read and read and read and read everything and done everything
to get fix this... To no avail...

So, I decided to start fresh... I built a NEW box, to be my mail server,
so I have a separate box for http and mail.  So, I installed Redhat9.0,
and then upgraded it to Fedora (because I could not get anaconda to run
for some reason...)   Anyway, after installing fedora freshly on this new
box, I configured sendmail, and I get the EXACT same problem with smtp.
No matter what I do, I cannot authenticate the user to log in, it gives me
the same old "did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN" crap...

Please someone help me out...

Thanks!

--

Codito, Ergo Sum...