Console redirection

John Haxby jch at thehaxbys.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 09:32:50 UTC 2004

Mario St-Gelais wrote:

> I am not sure I understand what you want to achieve, but in my case, I
> have an old 266 MHz that I use as web/ftp server for my own usage.
> There is nothing else attached to it other that power cord and Lan cable.

Works for me as well.   Mine is a slightly newer second- or third-hand
IBM NetVista and I had to tell the BIOS to boot without a keyboard or
mouse connected.

> All I need to do is power it up.  Then I can access it from either my
> other Linux box through SSH or from my Win XP Lap top through winSCP.
> The only thing I can't set up because I can't figure out is Samba
> because I would like to use this old 266 as a printer server...

How about an alternative approach?   I used to use Samba for remote
printer shares, but then Margaret Doll pointed out that if you install
"Printer Services for Unix" on a Windows machine printing seems much
faster and better quality.    And it's true (thanks Margaret, if you're
listening).   You need to make sure LPD (usually by turning it on with
printconf) and on the Windows side you just create a new port for local
printing -- it's either called an lpd port or a unix print services port.

jch