powerdown after shutdown part2

lwj wayne at zkcelltest.com
Thu Mar 4 16:22:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 03:23, maverick wrote:
> He already wrote which command he used...
>
> [quote]
> I've the same problem if I use powerdown.
> [/quote]
>
> But i have the same problem on my Laptop too.
> I use the command "shutdown -h now" or when i am using X,
> i use the "LogOff" Button.
> My system won't turn off automatically.
> :/ well i will wait if anyone posts a solution for
> Peter ;)
>
> greets: Bernd

Do you have ACPI enabled? I think that power down when you shutdown is
part of power management so you must enable APM or ACPI for it to work.

I also think that some newer laptops support ACPI instead of APM. If
your only supports ACPI then you must pass a command to the kernel to
enable it. This can be done by adding something like "acpi=on" to your
grub.conf. You'll need to verify the actual command, I just had to send
my laptop back the manufacturer to get the back-light fixed so I am
going on memory.

ACPI is not as stable as APM so enabling ACPI may cause other problems.
If you want to play it safe you could duplicate your grub entry (with a
new title) and add the acpi=on to that. This would guarantee a way back
in if it doesn't work.