NTP, ntpdate, and ISP-based firewall

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Thu Mar 4 18:55:52 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 12:17 3/4/2004, you wrote:
>
>> I'm not getting anything back.  Feh.  Doesn't deem to make a difference
>> whether or not I have iptables running.
> Make sure you can type "iptables -L" and get a display with no rules and
> all policies set to ACCEPT.

It shouldn't matter. The tcpdump shows that the packets aren't even
getting to his system. The default iptables doesn't get in the way of
replies anyway. Even if it did, the tcpdump would have shown the server
packet arriving and then iptables sending an ICMP prohibited reply.

>> I opened port 123 on my Linksys firewall
> Make sure you open UDP/123 instead of TCP.

This, on the other hand, may be relevant.