Memory use

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Mar 5 02:42:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:35:10PM +0200, thedogfarted wrote:
> does it uses swap space for accelerating everything too?? because now it
> has "eaten" all avilable memory and starts to "eat" swap space. Until

The kernel will use up nearly all physical memory. Any that is not used
by programs being run will be used for buffering and caching various
stuff in RAM so it can be accessed more quickly than if it had to be
retrieved from disk. As time goes by, the kernel will also discover
programs or portions of programs that are sitting in memory and not
being used, and those things will be moved into swap to free up more
memory, which will also be used for buffers and caching.

This gets the important stuff, the stuff that's being used, into memory
to the extent possible, and everything else (stuff that's not being used)
into swap.

When a demand for more memory occurs the buffers can be written to disk
and/or cached stuff can be discarded to free up memory for the new need.

This makes for efficient use of memory, i.e., use as much as possible for
things that benefit from quick access.