Samba and shared folders

Eric Diamond eric at ediamond.net
Fri Mar 5 15:36:30 UTC 2004

Chris,

That's actually the default behavior on my boxes. I haven't nailed down the
particulars because I have to do more testing, but the key is the directory
permissions. Samba allows us to emulated a MS server, but the permissions
controlling access are still in linux.

I have to go see a customer this morning, but I'll be back this afternoon
and will continue to test. I've already made some shares visible that hadn't
been and then taken them back away from the main browse list. However,
specifying a specific share name makes it show up in the browser even if
it's not accessable. I need to test to see whether this is because they were
already resolved on my test box or if that is default behavior. I'll get
back to you as I know more.

This is what I have so far...

You definitely want browsable set to no in the homes section. Likewise,
since there is only one homes defination, a valid users statement won't
work.

Your home directory permissions should be 755 or drwxr-xr-x.
Your user directories should be 700 or drwx------.

I'll add more later...

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security