Cable modem help

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Fri Mar 5 18:00:26 UTC 2004

Srinivasan S wrote:

>Hi
>
>I run Fedora Core 1 (on a dual boot with Win 98) ..
>
>Recently I attached a cable modem to the m/c and set it up as below :
>
>Settings on eth0: (local n/w)
>eth0 is connected to the local network and runs Samba and DHCPD (on eth0 only).  Set to a static IP of 192.168.1.1
>
>Settings on eth1 : (Motorola 5100 Surfboard cable modem)
>Automatically obtain IP address settings with dhcp
>DHCP Settings : Hostname is empty and Automatically obtain DNS is unchecked and Hardware is bound to the proper MAC address
>
>When I try to activate the eth1 interface it fails.  An ifconfig on eth1 returns the following output :
>
>[root at localhost root]# ifconfig eth1
>eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:BA:08:43:4C
>          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:864 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>          RX bytes:65356 (63.8 Kb)  TX bytes:3420 (3.3 Kb)
>          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xc400
>
><< The same cable connection on Win98 works without any hitches and I get connected>>
>
>I want to use my Fedora box with the net and hence need help urgently
>
>Thanks in advance
>Regards
>Srini

Some [many?] of the cable modems are set up to hold only 1 MAC address.
 If your cable modem works in on your Win98 box, then it might have the
MAC address of the NIC on that box automatically registered with the
cable modem, and the modem is not allowing other NIC cards to register
themselves.

To resolve this, what I have had to do in the past is hook up the modem
to the computer with the NIC card that works.  Obtain an IP address, and
then browse to the cable modem's IP address [192.168.100.1].  This
provides a web interface to the settings of the cable modem.  At least
on mine, you can tell it to reset [which includes having it drop any
"registered" MAC addresses].  Then, before it can pick up the same MAC
address, disconnect your network cable, connect the cable modem to the
desired ethernet card, and bring up that interface.  Your new MAC
address should be registered, and you should have a DHCP provided address.

HTH...

--
Keven Ring                      | They called it Paradise
Lead Software Systems Engineer  |   I don't know why...