Tags for root mail multiple bozes --was-- Re: RPM database

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Fri Mar 5 23:25:27 UTC 2004

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:22:30PM -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
>
>>Looks like my co-worker didnt see this e-mail then... He receives all
>>the e-mails to root for our domain (about 100 linux boxes , and about 50
>>sun) and he usually doesnt have the time to read them all..
>

> What are the tricks to set NAME so that cron, Anacron, LogWatch,
> etc. mail messages have different sortable From and Subject lines that
> make it easy to see what machine is what (tools like 'frm').

I don't think there are any tricks needed...
In my (apparantly default) configuration:

Logwatch messages have a subject of "LogWatch for SYSTEMNAME".
Cron messages have a subject of "Cron <root at SYSTEMNAME> CRONSCRIPT"

Unless you masquerade the sender address, they'll also all be from
"root at system.domain.tld".

> It would be nice to sort by Subject and or From so at a glance
> it is possible to look for differences.

Yes, it is useful.