For anyone looking for a DNS server..

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 6 12:49:18 UTC 2004

Hi All,

Just thought I would share a killer DNS server I have recently found..

Its called MyDNS  ( http://mydns.bboy.net ) and uses a MySQL backend for
the zone data so as soon a change is made its live (after the cache
expires) without having to relaod the server as is the case with BIND..
Its a piece of cake to setup and manage, it even comes with a PHP admin
system.. Since it uses a MySQL backend you caould setup miltiple servers
referencing the same MySQL data for redundancy or use MySQL replication
of the DB if you want no single point of failure..

It also works with Postgres if you prefer..

The only "Gotcha" is that is does not support recursive lookups, but it
does support refering the recursive lookups to another DNS server for
resolution and then passes the result back to the client so you can
easily refer recursive lookups to an ISP's DNS server... Most would not
find this to be a problem becasue they would simply want to provide
resolution for their own domains and client PC's would use an ISP's DNS
server..

Later..