Swat

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 7 02:23:25 UTC 2004

Chris Botha said:
> If you want to use the redhat-config-samba you can just forward X over
> SSH.
> ----------------------------
> What X The GUI and forward it were? Your not talking about 'RealVNC'?
> ----------------------------

Well, VNC is one way, but SSH provides X forwarding so that you can run X
apps on the remote machine and have them displayed on the local machine.
A short discription is available in the ssh man page for "-x" and "-X".
Assuming you have some X apps installed on the remote machine, try this:

[local]$ ssh -X user at remotehost
[remotehost]$ xeyes

[snip]
> Your talking about swat, I have read about it but never used it my self
> (could not get it going, tried once and ran out of time). Ok my
> system is up and running and thus far I used SSH to manipulate the system.
> How do I set up swat, I suppose that I need apache to be running or
> something?

No apache needed.  Swat includes it's own HTTP server.

> Where do I confirm that swat is installed?

$ rpm -q samba-swat

Then to enable it:

$ /usr/sbin/chkconfig swat on

> I know the basics. Ports, what
> ports
> (I know what you mean but how do you set them, firewalling)?

Well, if you want to use the default configuration (only available from
localhost) then you can leave your firewall along and use SSH port
forwarding.

$ ssh -L 901:localhost:901 remotehost

Then go to "http://localhost:901" in a web browser (on your local machine).

--