HTML Links on Evolution

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sun Mar 7 07:19:14 UTC 2004

At 00:55 3/7/2004, you wrote:
>While appearance may be eye candy, it does not add to the value of the
>text content.
>
>[...]
>
>two words......   security  & efficiency.

<flame>
Two more words: mental myopia.

The very basic premise of "[appearance] does not add to the value of the
text content" is so wrong, that I'm loath to explain it to you... since you
probably won't even try to understand a different point of view, let alone
fully comprehend it.

I find Scott's analogy of color vs. black-and-white TV apropos, and many
others could be made in that vein. The primary problems (i.e. virii and
backdoors in IE and OE) are not caused by HTML per se but rather by weak
and insecure implementations thereof. Thus you are assuming a
cause-and-effect relationship where such is not really the case. Yes, in
the majority of cases (Windows users in particular) HTML mail is dangerous.
But HTML itself is not the root cause of the problem.

However, that is the less-important point. Presentation is always, has
always been, and will always be one component of the value of anything.
Given ANY two objects or concepts of equal value in all other respects
(ceteris paribus, if you will) but where one of the two has better
presentation, 99.999% of human beings WILL see a difference between the two
and choose the one with better presentation. (In case you missed it, note
the "of equal value in all other respects").

I am not saying that good presentation can or will overcome poor value in
content... although that can and does happen. I am saying that it is
foolish and blind in the extreme to write off presentation as irrelevant.
For one example, in oh-so-many of the business email messages that I write,
I specifically switch to using HTML in order to get properly-indented,
numbered paragraphs or bulleted lists. I do so in order to include images
inside my message so that the reader (even that blithering idiot over in
wherever who can barely turn on the computer) will instantly be able to see
them and comment. I do so in order to communicate my content more clearly,
cleanly, and quickly (with better presentation, readers understand more
quickly and easily... else the whole publishing industry would be vastly
different). I do it because I make more money when my clients or my bosses
react favorably to my ideas, and they react better when I present it in a
more attractive and readable way.

There are valid reasons to use text-only email in some situations. There
are also lots and lots of valid reasons to use HTML mail in other
situations. And there is NO reason to state that either choice A or choice
B is invalid in all cases, other than sheer unrelenting fanaticism.

Anyone who says that HTML email is unfailingly and unequivocally useless
and dangerous in all situations and for all people is either blind, stupid,
or totally out of touch with the technological evolution and basic societal
constructs of the human race.

Sadly, there seem to be a a few of you folks out there somewhere.
</flame>

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com