HTML Links on Evolution

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Sun Mar 7 15:22:45 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

>However, on
> the flip side of the coin I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation
> from even the most rabid fanatic on why I should stop using HTML for
> better presentation when sending email on a corporate Gigabit LAN where
> all clients are Evolution on Fedora.
>
> OF COURSE there are many situations (many many many...) where HTML mail
> is inappropriate, rude, or even dangerous. There are also other
> situations where it is the most logical choice, the lowest-cost choice,
> and the one that people already understand. I don't want to start
> hearing comments about people (Winders drones) not using Linux "because
> they can't use pretty stuff in their email," OK?

I certainly agree with that sentiment.  And let's face reality.  The
Winders drones have us outnumbered 30 to 1, which is not going to change
overnight.  And they send HTML mail. If I receive an email from a
prospective client, I'm certainly not going to email him back and say "I
can't read this.  Learn how to send in plain text."

   On a related note, I've never quite understood the rabid fanatics'
position.  If you insist upon using pine and mutt because of their
supposed "power" and "flexibility", don't complain when you receive
stuff that pine and mutt don't handle well.  Frankly, I think it makes
us look like a bunch of uncivilized cavemen to the rest of the world.

-Steve