yum repositories slow?

Gertjan Vinkesteijn fedora.1.90 at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 7 20:19:56 UTC 2004

Mark McGlone wrote:

>Is anyone finding that downloading headers from the yum repositories
>is especially slow? I've tried a number of different ones and they're
>all REALLY slow (anywhere 5 seconds to several minutes to download
>just a >100 k header). These are repositories that are close to my
>area (So Cal). This has been going on now for several weeks.
>
>thanks,
>
>Mark

example:
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
exclude=glibc-debuginfo-common,kernel-debuginfo,mdadm-debuginfo,SDL_mixer-debuginfo,expect-debuginfo,commons-digester-debuginfo,spamassassin-debuginfo,kdelibs-debuginfo,policy-sources,gcc34-debuginfo,openoffice.org-debuginfo,perl-Inline-debuginfo,perl-Crypt-SSLeay-debuginfo,joystick-debuginfo,chkconfig-debuginfo,gimp-devel,gtkhtml3-debuginfo

# [base]
# name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
# baseurl=ftp://alviss.et.tudelft.nl:/pub/fedora/core/development/$basearch
#     ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/mirror/os/Linux/distr/fedora/development/$basearch
#     http://ftp.nluug.nl/mirror/os/Linux/distr/fedora/development/$basearch
#     ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/development/$basearch
#     http://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/development/$basearch
#     http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever

#[updates-testing]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-$releasever

[development]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
baseurl=ftp://alviss.et.tudelft.nl:/pub/fedora/core/development/$basearch
    ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/mirror/os/Linux/distr/fedora/development/$basearch
    http://ftp.nluug.nl/mirror/os/Linux/distr/fedora/development/$basearch
    ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/development/$basearch
    http://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/development/$basearch

ftp://ftp.quicknet.nl/pub/Linux/download.fedora.redhat.com/development/$basearch

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates

--
Peace is everywhere
http://gershwin.xs4all.nl