Problem with Maxtor ATA card

Atrus atrus at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 7 20:20:53 UTC 2004

I babbled:

Hi everyone

 Ok, after a couple of days of searching google, usenet, etc. I am
offically stuck.

 A little background info first:
 I have 5 ide devices. hda, hdb, hdc, and hdd are on the motherboard's
 IDE controler. The fifth device, hde, was a Maxtor drive hung off of an
 Adaptec 1200A IDE card. Since there is only on disk connected to this
 card, ther is no raid involved. This is a dual boot system where hda is
 XXXindows, hdb is Fedora Core, hdc and hdd are CD-ROMS, and hde is a
 shared drive between the 2 OS's.

 Now everything was just peachy until the Adaptec card Bombed on me. I
 had a spare Maxtor Ultra 133 card that I replaced it with. If the
maxtor
 card is installed, regardless of whether I have a disk attatched or
not.
 Fedora fails to boot. It gives a Kernel Panic: no init found. Remove
the
 card, Fedora Boots fine.

Help please

Alexander was helpful with suggesting:

I bet the IDE devices through the new Maxtor controller card becomes
first detected devices and thus collides with previous device order. Two
possibilities: a) try to change the device order through BIOS setting
(if that is possible), on board controllers have to be primary b) change
devices in /etc/grub.conf and /etc/fstab to fit with new controller
order.
_____________________________

Thanks for the reply. I found via google that the Maxtor card has a bad
habit of switching the order that the IDE drives are detected. The
motherboards BIOS settings are correct: my 1st hard drive is hda, etc.
There is no way to change the settings on the Maxtor card. So, I figure
that the Maxtor card is flat overriding the motherboard's BIOS. I then
pull out my handy Fedora CD to boot into linux rescue to make changes to
lilo.conf and/or /etc/fstab. After I boot, all my devices are in the
correct order?!

Is there a way to boot and find how pivot_root is mounting devices and
make any heeded changes there?

Since the fedora CD detected everything correctly, will a reinstall of
fedora put everything back in check.

Again, Thanks immensely for your help!

Atrus