New mailing list: fedora-selinux

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Mar 7 20:54:35 UTC 2004

I joined the SELinux list and have been on the development list for
awhile. I also read the page that pointed to SELinux and what it was al
about. I really did not learn too much to what it actually is.
If from all of my exposure has relayed anything to what SELinux is. I
think that the goal of the project is to change the way that
administration is performed on an operating system. Instead of one
super-user having all the powers to change something on an operating
system. Roles are created and protection is added to the system by
taking away irrational operations that a program with certain priveleges
can perform. The super-user is not able to run some programs that might
work fine for a normal user, cutting down security risks. Regular users
cannot run programs that might lead to learning to much about a system,
which would aid in an exploit.
Any way that the Security Linux is put into place is a bit alarming. It
sounds like the project is set to change the way that a system is setup.
Documentation is pretty much confusing to me as of present date.
Regardless, discussions to what the project is trying to accomplish
would be a better enlightement than how an email is initially presented.
I do think that when a message is sent to a list announcing a newly
created list. There should be a summary as to the goal of the project
and what is needed to be of aid to testing out the project that is
mentioned. It is too late to change the format that an announcement was
made in. It is a god idea to make the announcement a bit less brief with
future announcements though.
If I haven't a clue to what SELinux is really about. I am sorry that
nothing sunk into me with my prior exposure to the project goals.

Jim