Mounting Network Drive(s)

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Mar 7 21:55:59 UTC 2004

Jwp wrote:

>>Your approach seems to me to be reasonable.
>>There are a few considerations.
>>1) Are you allowing them to write to the ftp server? If so you might
>>still have a space problem develop.
>>

>If you don't mind could you expound on this a little?

On a windows box, there is by default no limit to the space that may be
used by a single user.  Thus one user allowed to write to a shared
folder can fill the entire drive.  Since you are mounting the directory
for ftp from the windows machine you are dependent upon the windows
controls for space and permissions. This has the possibility of becoming
an issue.

If the directories used were on a linux box the maximum space available
for use by that user is the lesser of 1) the physical space available on
the partition or 2) the space allowed by using quotas.
A good administrator has his users home directories located so that if
the partition fills up it does not impact any other operation of the
machine.

>>One easy way, if these users all are using only the ftp shared
>>directory, would be to mount it, as you already have said.
>>Then for each user, make that directory their home directory, and make
>>each user a member of the same group. Give the group appropriate
>>permissions for that directory.
>>

>Thanks, this was my initial solution but I like accountability associated
>with unique logins, also some users have access to content that I don't want
>to give to others (the ability to upload, a different set of files etc)

Reasonable.  Different shares for each user is good

>So by mounting network drives multiple times I am not using resources,
>slowing down either system?

Of course you are using resources, both network and on the machines.  It
depends on your setup and usage whether this becomes of signifigance.