RPM packages: Athlon vs i686 vs i386

Don Dixon fedora-list at macrologic.com
Mon Mar 8 02:54:31 UTC 2004

Greetings,

I recently submitted what I thought was a bug to bubzilla concerning CPU
detection and FC1.  The bugzilla number is 116941 if anyone is
interested in reading in detail.  The basic problem is that I have an
Athlon XP 1600+ CPU, yet when I boot to the CLI, it says:

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow)
Kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl on an i686

This exact same hardware, until recently was running RH7.3 and it booted
to the CLI identifying itself as athlon.  That was the reason I thought
it was a bug.  On bugzilla, the report has been closed with:

"athlon is always a i686 for the kernel"

So, what I am now wondering about is updates.  I need to know which
level of RPM packages to
load.  For instance with kernels, would I choose
kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.athlon.rpm or
kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.i686.rpm?  And with glibc, do I choose
glibc-2.3.2-101.4.i686.rpm
or glibc-2.3.2-101.4.i386.rpm.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Don
fedora-list_me_no_like_spam at macrologic.com