Fedora Core 2 Test 1 Problems

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Mon Mar 8 04:11:07 UTC 2004

Steven J. Brown wrote:

> I seem to be having many problems with this release (2.6.1-1.65).  One
> my home computer, after upgrading, my mouse wouldn't work and my sound
> card could not be found on startup.  So I did a new "everything"
> installation.  The mouse problem went away but I get an error message
> saying that a device couldn't be found.  According to sndconfig, I
> must be using a kernel with modular sound.  This problem occurs on
> every computer I've installed it on.

You could tell what messages appeared related to your mouse...  Also ,
how did you upgrade? Using the anaconda installer or yum? on the release
notes of test 1 ,  it says that updates using anaconda werent very
stable... what sound card do you have? what system config? did you try
system-config-sound (dont forget to raise the volume , as alsa starts
muted by default),

> I tried to run up2date.  I had to uncheck balsa and epiphany.  It also
> said that there was a dependency problem with redhat-lsb, but this
> package was not present in the list, so I could not uncheck it.  I
> removed teh redhat-lsb package, but that didn't help.  Next, I tried
> updating only the kernel.  It took over an hour, using up2date.  When
> rebooting with the new kernel, X wouldn't even start because it can't
> find the mouse.

The change of the mouse device to /dev/input/mice has been discussed on
fedora-test-list... If you're using a test release , you really should
be on fedora-test-list... The dependency problems you are having is for
one single reason: the build system can't build all the updates at
once... so some needed packages take longer to be built and reach the
mirrors...

> I've exhausted all means of updating packages: apt, yum, synaptic,
> up2date.  This is the worst build of Red Hat / Fedora Linux I've ever
> used.  I'm afraid I'll have to reinstall my previous version.

Maybe this is the "worst" because this is the first time that redhat
opens the first tests releases to the public.. they used to release only
test 3 and 4 to the public .... that's why the test versions of RHL were
more stable than FC2t1 is... If you are afraid you'll have to reinstall
your previous version , feel free to do so.. But if you're willing to
help  even with all those issues , join fedora-test-list and create bug
reports ... with the help of all the volunteers , the next test versions
will become much more stable and when fedora core 2 final reaches the
mirrors , it'll be much better than FC1...

just my 2 cents..

--
Pedro Macedo