(OFF TOPIC) Question for any UK DSL users (OFF-TOPIC)

Gerry Maddock gerrym at futuremetals.com
Mon Mar 8 15:59:16 UTC 2004

Thanks Alan!

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-admin at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-admin at redhat.com] On
Behalf Of Alan Dunkley
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 10:54 AM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: (OFF TOPIC) Question for any UK DSL users (OFF-TOPIC)

On Monday 08 Mar 2004 3:28 pm, Gerry Maddock wrote:
> This question is totally off-topic (sorry), but I have a question for
> any UK dsl users:
>
> I have a branch office in the UK which is currently connected to us
> here in the US via Frame-relay. To save our company money, I am
> planning on moving them to DSL, but for some reason BT will not give
> my branch office the DSL modem I require. I would like a DSL modem
> that has an RJ45 NIC, yet they seem to insist on giving us a USB DSL
> router. Does anyone there use a DSL modem with an RJ45 port that you
> would recommend? Please send me the make/model #.

I use a EICON 2430 SE ADSL modem, it has a USB & RJ45 connection. The RJ45
is connected to my SMC barricade router/hub/firewall and my ADSL provider is
BT.
See www.eicon.com/diva2430SE for more details.

>From the web page:

"The Diva ADSL 2430 SE is a single-user ADSL Modem for connection to the
Internet via Ethernet or USB.

Using Ethernet, no Diva drivers are required, just an Ethernet connection
and an Internet browser. Using USB, a simple Diva 2430 SE driver must be
installed from the Diva CD.

To make it extremely easy for the connection of a single user to the
Internet, the 2430 SE has very fixed rules and very limited options about
how it can be configured."

As stated above, the SE is fixed on certain configuration details, like RJ45
interface has to be 192.168.1.1, for home use this is fine, for business you
may want to use a non-SE model unless you can route between a mini network
(192.168.1) and your main LAN.  I have has no issues with it at all.

Mail me directly (off-list), if you want more info.

--
Alan D