renovate partitions without reinstalling

dballester at kernpharma.com dballester at kernpharma.com
Mon Mar 8 17:32:04 UTC 2004

Hi:

      Well, well, well... welcome to the freedoom club ;)

Supousing that you will delete your windows partitions, here is what i
could do:

(In general, if you think that's good, let me know to explain in detail)

      Backup your important data from windows to linux ( docs,
spreadsheets, music, images, etc...).

      Delete partitions in /dev/hda ( windows disk )

      Swap disks physicaly ( windows disk ( 20Gb ) will be at /dev/hdc and
linux disk will be at /dev/hda )

      Boot machine with Fedora Disk1, in rescue mode.

      When prompted to mount your system under /mnt/sysimage respond yes.
Then execute 'chroot /mnt/sysimage'. ( I don't remember if it's sysimage or
another name...)

      Edit /etc/fstab. References to /dev/hdc must point now to /dev/hda.

      Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf. Delete lines corresponding to windows.
References to hd2 will point now to hd0

      Save file.

      Execute grub-install

      Exit from chroot.

      Reboot.

      You have your fedora working from /dev/hda.

      Now, the funny steps :
      =======================

      Shutdown -r now

      Startup with single mode

      We will use logical volumes, with them, we will expand our disks more
easily in the future.

      Create partition for swap in /dev/hdc ( space can be  1 x RAM ),
create 1 partition of ext3 type in /dev/hdc for /tmp partition and create 1
LVM partition for /home. ( be sure to left 1-1,5 Gb free without
partitioning )

      swap on /dev/hdc/<swap_partition>

      Configure LVM to make 1 physical volume, and assign all space in this
partition for /home with ext3.

      mkdir /mnt/new_home

      Format /dev/hdc/<tmp_partition> with ext3.

      mount /dev/hdc/<lvm_home> /mnt/new_home

      cp -pRH /home/* /mnt/new_home

      mv /home /old_home

      Edit /etc/fstab to change values according to new configuration.

      Reboot.

      ( If your original / is not full, and is data can be moved to
/dev/hdc for a while, i would be nice to make / again under LVM, too ).

HTH

Regards

David Ballester Montolio
Responsable de Sistemas y Comunicaciones
Kern Pharma, S.L.
www.kernpharma.com

GNU!

|         |           Charles Howse      |
|         |           <chowse at charter.net|
|         |           >                  |
|         |           Enviado por:       |
|         |           fedora-list-admin at r|
|         |           edhat.com          |
|         |           08/03/2004 17:40   |
|         |           Por favor, responda|
|         |           a fedora-list      |
  |     Para:     fedora-list at redhat.com                                                                                        |
  |     cc:                                                                                                                     |
  |     Asunto:   renovate partitions without reinstalling                                                                      |