CVS: why still 1.11.5?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 8 18:12:50 UTC 2004

Andre Costa said:
> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 11:50:31 -0600
> "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com> wrote:
>
>> At 11:22 3/8/2004, you wrote:
>> >BTW: still waiting for the answer for the CVS question... ;)
>>
>> Don't know, but you might want to "rpm -qi cvs" on your computer, then
>> "rpm -q --changelog cvs" and look for the package maintainer. Send
>> him/her a nice email asking why a newer package hasn't been released,
>> and see what you get back. :-)
>
> Nice tip, will do that too. I am affraid though that people personal
> email might not get through, but it's definitely worth a try.

I would also suggest being prepared when they reply "What feature is
missing?".  Upgrading just for the sake of having a newer version is just
a PITA for a maintaner, but if a number of people want version foo because
of feature bar, that carries more weight.  As someone else pointed out,
development has version 1.11.11, so it might be as easy as rebuilding the
src.rpm.

--
William Hooper