renovate partitions without reinstalling

thedogfarted thedogfarted at inbox.lv
Mon Mar 8 20:04:51 UTC 2004

Sorry, english is not my native :)

Charles Howse wrote:

> On Monday 08 March 2004 12:54 pm, thedogfarted wrote:
>
>>When i moved from rh9 to fc1 and wanted to shrink windows partition i
>>took a less 'funny' approach ???easier???
>>
>>i booted from disk 1 in rescue mode, launched parted. I had already made
>>my ntfs partiotion two times smaller with BootIt NG but as you want to
>>get rid of your ntfs completely, there should be no problems with that :)
>>
>>write '/dev/hda' (without quotes), that will select your ntfs disk
>>
>>delete ntfs partition: 'rm 1'
>>
>>the biggest problem is that you want to have your / and /boot partition
>>on hda - we need to move them from one disk to other, but they could be
>>ext3 partitions and parted doesn't support ext3 (although the manual
>>says it does)
>

> They are indeed ext3 partitions.
>
>>make desired partitions on hda. if you want ext3 partiotions, use mkpart
>>command instead of mkpartfs, exit parted and use mkfs.ext3 command on
>>that partition, that will format it as ext3
>>
>>partitions are created, now the hardest part - copying
>>
>>if they are ext2, you can use cp command within parted: 'cp /dev/hdc 1
>>1' if hdc1 is /boot and it fits in hda1
>>
>>in case of / and if you have ext3 partitions (as i do), you'll have to
>>copy them manually (i suppose you want to keep /home on hdc)
>>
>>exit form parted, mount both source and destination partitions, and use
>>ordinary cp command to copy files from one partition to other (you can
>>use mv instead of cp but i prefer cp - in case that smthing goes wrong
>>data isn't lost)
>

> Ummm...I thought we mounted filesystems rather than partitions...?
> Could you show me an example of how to mount a partition while in rescue mode,
> please?

let it be filesystems. never heard about more filesystems on one
partition or one filesystem on many partitions

for example i had to move all data form /dev/hda6 (my previous /home) to
/dev/hda3 (newly created)

#mkdir /mnt/oldhome
#mkdir /mnt/newhome

#mount /dev/hda6 -t ext3 /mnt/oldhome
#mount /dev/hda3 -t ext3 /mnt/newhome

#cp -r /mnt/oldhome/* /mnt/newhome

>>now that you have copied all the files you wanted to reside on hda
>>(probably all /boot partition and / without /home and /tmp) do what you
>>want with hdc - probably move files that /home is instead of previous /
>>etc and then edit grub.conf and fstab, it could look like this
>

> Stop...I'm lost.
> I was with you until we started moving "files that /home is..."
> I must not be reading correctly, it doesn't make sense.  :-)

probably i missed something there (as i said english is not my native,
it's quite hard to think in two languages :)

the idea was to move contents of /home that they reside on / of your
filesystem so you can mount it. If /dev/hdc2 was your / (and you have
copied it's contents to hda2) then you can do the following:

#mkdir /mnt/oldroot
#mount /dev/hdc2 -t ext3 /mnt/oldroot

delete all you have moved to hda2

#cp -r /home/* /

and delete the old home

#rm -rf /home

>>grub.conf:
>>
>>title Fedora Core 1 (kerneliic 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl)
>>	#this is if /boot is hda1
>>         root (hd0,0)
>>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
>>rhgb

this is from my grub.conf, probably you won't use hdc for ide-scsi