Why FC-2?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 9 11:19:52 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Alan Horn wrote:

> In my experience, a fresh reinstall is generally better than an upgrade.
>
> I prefer to :
>
>  o backup data
>  o wipe out OS
>  o remake filesystems
>  o install new system
>  o apply local config and app management from central mgmt server
>  o restore data

i've mentioned previously that my preference is to do a "fresh" install,
installing around my data-oriented filesystems like /home and /usr/local,
anything you want preserved, and reformatting and reinstalling all of the
others.

this has the advantages of getting the benefit of a fresh install while
preserving your data.  on the down side, you don't get to resize those
filesystems, or switch to LVM from a non-LVM config.

also, you pretty much have to reconfigure everything from scratch, but if
you backed up /etc/somewhere, that's generally not too painful and
probably a good exercise, anyway, just to refresh your memory.

i once wrote a list of everything i did to make this happen, has anyone
else documented the steps involved in this sort of upgrade?  just curious
if i should anything critical to my list.

rday