Multiple yum - How?

GianPiero Puccioni gip at ino.it
Tue Mar 9 13:35:40 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have to set up ten similar machines with Fedora and I'd like to use
yum for updates and stuff, as doing it independently on every machine is
stupid I'd like to use one as "master" and and get the stuff from that
one, but what is the best strategy?

Configure the master as a yum server? For this I suppose I need a httpd
server (or maybe FTP), and that would mean having ten copies of
everything around.  Mount/umount the /var/cache/yum directory using
NFS when I need to update? Or maybe, as the machines share a directory on
a file server anyway, use a directory there and point all the yum
to use that?  As the NFS is set up to mount from the file server
"squash_root" can this be a problem or the access can be "read
only" (except for the master of course)?

Which one?

Thanks,
  GianPiero