Fedora support etiquette, need suggestions

Thomas Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 9 15:00:53 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: "Matt H." <helios82 at optushome.com.au>
Sent: Mar 9, 2004 5:44 AM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: Fedora support etiquette, need suggestions

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:38:04 -0800, Aaron Matteson wrote:

>> Andrew Robinson became daring and sent these 0.7K bytes,

>ESR already has a document on this topic. Is this not adequate for
>your goals here?
>>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>--
>Matt

I was going to recommend the above document, but it looks like someone beat
me to it. It's a bit harsh, but it's good reading, and it addresses the basic frustration
experienced by people with a lot of knowledge who are giving techincal support
for free when they encounter people who are not even willing to help themselves.

I'd also recommend RFC 1855 <http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html>, which
explains basic netiquette, especially the part on "one-to-many" communications.
There are already a few decades of internet culture out there to learn from, so I'd
hate to see someone reinvent the wheel, when a lot of this has already been worked
out.

When I first started using the internet (around 1991) this type of thing (documents
on basic netiquette) was given to every new user by their ISP, but it just doesn't
happen anymore.