Why FC-2?

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Tue Mar 9 16:31:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:34:55AM -0000, Hamilton, David wrote:
> I can certainly see that a fresh install of FC2 would be better than
> upgrading from FC1, but what about going between test releases and the
> final release?

Any use of a test release for purposes other than testing, are at your
own risk.

I'm in your shoes. However, I intend on staying at fedora-devel-latest,
and any proximity to FC2 will be due to fedora-devel-latest aligning
with FC2 near the release date.

People who have claimed that they *need* their systems running, but that
they don't want to have separate major releases, are confused. The RedHat
Enterprise releases do things the way companies want. Long release cycles,
and no expectation for new software. Updates are for reliability, fixing
exploits, and when demanded, for backported features. This costs more
money, so people who really 'need' this, pay for it.

I see nothing wrong with this. I can see how people who want something for
nothing disagree with this, but the problem isn't with RedHat...

Cheers,
mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________