Ackward timing for me FC1-FC2?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Mar 9 18:34:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 07:47, John Fleming wrote:

> 1.  Should I go ahead and put FC1 on it?  If so, when a stable FC2
> comes out, how best to retain what I have going, e.g. Apache conf,
> mail conf, SpamAssassin conf etc, or would I just have to manually
> save all pertinent configuration files and then reinstall each
> software after the new install of FC2?

If stability is really important, and if you don't want to spend lots of
time fixing systems, then don't install a release until at least 2 or 3
months after it was released, and even then you must apply all Fedora
updates immediately (otherwise there's no point in waiting).
Otherwise, go ahead and install anything you like.

Example: i did install FC1 immediately after release on a few
unimportant systems, but i waited until end of January this year to put
it one some more critical machines (but not overwhelmingly critical) -
all those systems are fully up-to-date.

Exception: I'd like to be able to install FC2 on a few systems that have
some BIOS/motherboard bugs (Intel L440GX+ chipset), so therefore i did
try the FC2 test1, just enough to gather data for a bug report (which i
immediately followed through with).

> 2.  OR, should I install FC2 testing now?  If I do that, will I be
> able to yum update to the stable version when it's released, or will
> that still require a new full install?

Stability and hassle-free matters?
If no, then go ahead.
If yes, then don't.

See exception above.

> 3.  FC1 does everything I want right NOW.  Should I just install FC1
> on the new machine and wait and see how long I can remain happy with
> this version??

Also keep in mind that FC2 will be based on kernel 2.6, which is not
widely tested, so the "wait 2...3 months" rule might be extended even
more for this particular Fedora release.

Common sense. Use your judgement. Don't drink and drive. :-)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/