Inodes!

Nelson Guedes Paulo Junior npaulo at linux.ime.usp.br
Tue Mar 9 19:03:53 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 01:28:55PM -0500, Christopher Ness wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 13:00, Nelson Guedes Paulo Junior wrote:
> > I've found this on /usr/include/ext2fs/ext2_fs.h
>                                   ^^^^^^
> I expect you will be using ext3fs with a default fedora install.

Hummm, I'm using, and I don't have an "ext3fs" directory on /usr/include
How can I verify that I'm really using EXT 3 without booting the system?

> > /*
> >  * Structure of an inode on the disk
> >  */
> > struct ext2_inode {
> > 	__u16	i_mode;		/* File mode */
> > 	__u16	i_uid;		/* Low 16 bits of Owner Uid */
> > 	__u32	i_size;		/* Size in bytes */
> > 	__u32	i_atime;	/* Access time */
> > 	__u32	i_ctime;	/* Creation time */
> > 	__u32	i_mtime;	/* Modification time */
> > 	__u32	i_dtime;	/* Deletion Time */
> >
> > Note that it has a Creation Time. Is this right?
> > Normally I would expect a "inode modification time", not
> > the Creation time of an archive.
>
> The modification time is below that.  :)  Check out `man 2 stat` for
> more info about inodes.  You can also inspect inodes from the CLI using
> the `stat` program for any file.

Ok, but that's not the problem. I saw the modification time. The problem
is that stat man page says that ctime is the "Change Time", not
"Creation Time", and they are diferent things! What I want to know is:
Who is right? Is this an Ext2 Only Feature? If I use "ls -c ./filename"
what I will see? The Creation, or the Change time?????

> # stat -c "Last Access: %x Last Modify: %y Last Change: %z"
> ./filename.goes.here

Thanks, but that's not the point like I tried to explain above.

Thanks,
Nelson
[]'s

--