ethernet to dialup transition

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 9 20:55:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 03:08:18AM -0500, Ben Vitale wrote:

> ... I'll
> need to use an external modem and Earthlink dialup to access the 'net -
> obviously not a 24/7 connection.  Two related questions:
>
> 1) Easiest way to "prepare" FC1 for the transition from LAN to dialup?
> Last time I had an ethernet outage, GNOME was very unhappy and became
> almost unusable.

What was the specific problem with GNOME?

I might guess that name services for localhost and yourhost are
fragile.  Make sure that /etc/host.conf, /etc/resolv.conf and
/etc/hosts do not have you making inquiries out on the net for common
off line tasks like resolving localhost, 127.0.0.1,
localhost.localdomain, and yourhost.

localhost and localhost.localdomain need to resolve QUICKLY.  If you
use a name server it is "a good thing" setup a local SOA for
localdomain  and go out on the wire for anything else.

Since you plan to restore broadband keep notes an original copy of any
file you change.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net