Netstat Zombies

Björn Persson bjorn_persson at sverige.nu
Tue Mar 9 21:04:48 UTC 2004

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 04:15:43AM -0800, edwarner99 at yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>I'm getting netstat zombies showing up from various
>>programs like, mozilla 1.5, bash, sh, etc...
>>
>>I searched bugzilla but couldn't find any reference.
>>Any one experience this? I'm running the latest FC1
>>kernel with all updates applied.
>

> Can you give an example of what you are seeing and how
> you are seeing it. Also if you are trying to fix a problem.

I get Netstat zombies too. I haven't thought of them as a big problem,
but I can show you an example. Right now I have one that's about four
days old. It's a child of Mozilla:

$ ps x -f
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY      STAT   TIME CMD
bjorn     4390     1  0 Feb24 ?        S      0:00 kdeinit: Running...
bjorn    30579  4390  0 Mar05 ?        S     23:30
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.4.1/mozilla-bin
bjorn    30714 30579  0 Mar05 ?        Z      0:00 [netstat <defunct>]

I don't remember if they're always from Mozilla. I've never seen more
than one at a time. Not that I have looked for them.

Björn Persson