FC1 / XP on a dell Inspiron 5150

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Mar 9 22:41:48 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 09.03.2004 schrieb Pierre De Boeck um 23:13:
> 	Hi all,
>
> I have just my new Dell inspiron 5150 and installed
> XP and all the MS dev suite (.net,..) on a 25 GB partition of
> my 60GB HDD.
>
> Now I want to install FC1 in dual boot on the rest (35GB) and
> before to do that, I have a few questions to ask in order to avoid
> to crash my XP installation.
>
> So my first question concerns partionning in FC1. Is the following
> scheme seems correct:
> /root: 50MB

Can it be you mean an extra /boot partition? Id personally would not
create this 50 MB /root but a ~ 76 MB /boot partition.

> /swap: 1GB (I have 512MB DDR)

swap = 2 * RAM is general advice, depending what you do 512 MB RAM would
be ok too.

> /:the rest (about 34GB).
>
> And particulary the size of the / partition: is it possible to use
> 34GB or I have to limit it to some limit (as I read in RH, about 5GB)?

There is no (this small) limit. For such a big partition you should
choose a journaling filesystem like ext3, otherwise filesystem checking
could last very long.

> Once that issue is solved, I will come back with other questions regarding
> the drivers and kernel recompilation.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 23:37:56 up 23:57, 7 users, 1.61, 1.29, 0.89
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]