how to switch monitors

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 10 00:29:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 07:05:52PM -0500, Ken Chamberlain wrote:

> My monitor died today.  :(
>
> I plugged in an old 14"er that was sitting around, but it doesn't have
> the capabilities of the other monitor.  How can I configure GDM for a
> different monitor?  The graphical display was unreadable.  I was able to
> CNTL-ALT-F3 and login to a text based display and switch to "init 3"
> mode so that GDM and X and all the graphical tasks are not running.  Now
> I would like to get graphical mode working with the new monitor.  In
> case the broken monitor is repairable, is there configuration files I
> can backup to make falling back to the current configuration easier?

Check /etc/X11/XF86Config

Back up this file
     cp /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config-Ken-Backup

There should be a "Section Monitor" line that marks
a section describing your current monitor.  See also
Section "Device"...

You can modify this stuff to reflect you new Monitor.  There are
multiple ways to limit X drivers so  Max Resolution and HorizSync
VertRefresh may need to change.  Be conservative with H Freq/ V Freq
numbers... this is one place where you can hurt hardware.

Section "Monitor"
        #Identifier   "WCT21"
        #VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
#       from MonitorWorld.com
#       Model:              WCT21
#       Max Resolution:             1600 x 1200
#       Sync Type:          Composite, Seperate
#       H Freq/ V Freq:             30-96khz / 48-160hz
#       Tube Manufacturer:          Sony
#       Monitor Type:               Multi_Frequency
#       Connector:          13W3/HD15
        Identifier   "Monitor1"
        ModelName    "WAyCoolTube10004"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 96.0
        VertRefresh  48.0 - 160.0
EndSection

And in the section
  Section "Device"
Look for a line
     Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864"....
Perhaps you list a mode results in a frequency that the tube cannot
display.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net