serial util?

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Wed Mar 10 01:55:13 UTC 2004

fred smith wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 11:58:36AM -0800, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
>
>>Ben Steeves wrote:

>>>Kermit.  The be-all-end-all of serial comms packages.  I use it to talk
>>>to the Lights-Out-Management consoles on our Sun boxes and the L1 on our
>>>SGI box (it's a cheapie... no L2).
>>
>>They have kermit again?! Yay! I thought I was stuck with minicom...
>>Sweet familiar kermit... the serial port's long lost friend.
>

> When have we ever been without it? One could always go to the kermit
> web site and grab the source for c-kermit, which has pretty much always
> built on Linux. (and nearly every other unix-like box, too!)

There was a period of time that (to my knowledge) it just vanished from
Redhat.  I tried keeping up with compiling it for a little while, but
then I had a number of years during which I didn't need it. When I did
need it again, I couldn't find it and all the docs said to use minicom,
so I (erroneously, it appears) wrote it off and consigned myself to minicom.

Suns have (and still do) use 'tip' instead.