Grub problem

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Wed Mar 10 12:48:32 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 07:24, Denham Eva wrote:
> Hello,
>
> New to fedora and have installed it, grub was default (I don't remember being able to choose lilo), It asked to create a boot disk, which I did. When the installation completed the harddisk comes up with a grub prompt at which I can't do much(or should I say, I don't know what to do). It however does boot from Floppy drive.
>
> Now I usually use lilo with all my Redhat servers, so I don't know grub at all.
> After reading the man page I soon realized I had no clue.
> I am also too afraid to try and "play" with it as I might loose my WinXP partition.
> So can anyone help me out with the synatx of the grub.conf file?
>
> My machines configuration is as follows
> /dev/hda1 WinXP partition.
> /dev/hda2 /
>
> How do I write grub to MBR so that it will run at bootup?
>
> Many Thanks, any help will be appreciated.
> Regards
> Denham Eva

Try this:
--- /etc/grub.conf ---
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
#splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core 1 (2.4.xx-xxx)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.xx-xxxx ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.xx-xxxx.img
title Windowx XYZ
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1
	makeactive
	boot
--- cut ---
Replacing the xx-xxxx with the actual kernel version. If you have
no separate /boot partition, you'll have to add '/boot' to kernel
and initrd files. The empty grub prompt makes me think that you
have no grub.conf file at all.

ps: /etc/grub.conf is a symlink to ../boot/grub/grub.conf
ps: pinfo grub -> Booting -> OS-specific notes -> DOS/Windows

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79