MS Intellimice optical 'shutting down' anyone?

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Wed Mar 10 13:36:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:54:14 -0600
Randy Kelsoe <randykel at swbell.net> wrote:

> Andre Costa wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've been experiencing lately some weird mouse behavior: all of a
> >sudden, mouse simply goes off, and even though X11 remains responsive
> >(keyboard works), it usually leaves me no option besides killing X11
> >with CTRL+ALT+BKSP -- which often makes me lose some work. Restarting
> >X brings mouse back up again, as if nothing had happened.
> >
> >Mouse is MS IntelliMouse Wheel Optical, graphics board is a GeForce4
> >Ti4200, XFree is latest version (4.3.0-55), NVidia drivers are also
> >latest (5336).
> >
> I had the same problem with my MS cordless Intellimouse. It started
> soon after the XFree86 upgrade. I could press the transmitter and the
> mouse reset buttons, and it would come back for a while, then hang.
> Sometimes it would come back on its own. I replaced it with a corded
> Logitech Optical Mouse, and it has been rock solid for over a week. I
> have an ATI Radeon, and I'm using the standard XFree86 driver.

This is something I am looking for: some relationship with latest X
upgrade. Aside from a possible hardware problem, this was the trigger
for these problems as far as I can see.

I had been using X with NVidia without any problem before (even with RH
9). These problems started happening recently, and they don't seem to
happen on windoze.

However, since you said that replacing the mouse solved the problem, it
makes me wonder what is the relationship with Intellimouse hardware (or
IMPS/2 mouse protocol on X).

Best,

Andre

--