MS Intellimice optical 'shutting down' anyone?

Wolfgang wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Wed Mar 10 14:03:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 00:46, Andre Costa wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2004 02:46:41 -0300
> Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 10, 2004, Andre Costa <acosta at ar.microlink.com.br> wrote:
> >
> > > I've been experiencing lately some weird mouse behavior: all of a
> > > sudden, mouse simply goes off, and even though X11 remains
> > > responsive(keyboard works), it usually leaves me no option besides
> > > killing X11 with CTRL+ALT+BKSP -- which often makes me lose some
> > > work. Restarting X brings mouse back up again, as if nothing had
> > > happened.
> >
> > Arjan gave me this tip the other day, when I ran into a similar
> > problem: Alt-F2, start xterm, run metacity --replace, and mouse
> > buttons work again.  Not sure whether your problem is just with
> > buttons, or with being able to use the mouse to move the pointer,
> > select other apps, etc, but I thought I'd share the tip anyway.
>
> Thks, any info might be valuable -- if not for me, at least for others.
>
> Unfortunately, my problem is the worst one: mouse _really_ dies -- no
> pointer, no buttons, no light (it's optical).
>
> > It has saved me some work a number of times recently.  I suspect I do
> > have some mouse hardware issue, that causes a very large number of
> > events to be triggered at about the same time, getting metacity very
> > confused.  Of course it shouldn't lose touch with reality just because
> > of such an interactivity storm, but it looks like it does :-(
>
> That sucks =( I still can't say exactly what triggers the problem here
> on my box, but it does seem to come up earlier when I am doing some
> heavy interaction with mouse, like playing UT2004 demo. Also, problem
> doesn't seem to come up on windoze... =(
>
> Best,
>
> Andre
>
> --
> Andre Oliveira da Costa

I'm running two mice on my system. One for std use as a pointer and the
other one is a trackball used for gaming. No problems here. They are
both connected to the USB ports and both are optical (Both Logitech
Mice). I did have problems with PS/2 mice in earlier versions of linux
(RH7 or 8 had this problem). So I went USB, no problems since.

Wolf