Multiple yum - How?

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Wed Mar 10 14:19:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 13:35, GianPiero Puccioni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to set up ten similar machines with Fedora and I'd like to use
> yum for updates and stuff, as doing it independently on every machine is
> stupid I'd like to use one as "master" and and get the stuff from that
> one, but what is the best strategy?
>
> Configure the master as a yum server? For this I suppose I need a httpd
> server (or maybe FTP), and that would mean having ten copies of
> everything around.  Mount/umount the /var/cache/yum directory using
> NFS when I need to update? Or maybe, as the machines share a directory on
> a file server anyway, use a directory there and point all the yum
> to use that?  As the NFS is set up to mount from the file server
> "squash_root" can this be a problem or the access can be "read
> only" (except for the master of course)?
>
> Which one?
Personally I am using rsync to grab the Fedora Base/updates from
mirror.ac.uk, and have a HTTPD server share that out for local use.

I then configure all of the machines to use the local repository as
apposed to the main ones.

I have set up a cron.tab entry to run the rsync, so that when
/etc/init.d/yum service is run it will have the latest updates for that
day.

If you want any more info/specifics, let me know.

Doug