samba Problem

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Mar 10 21:22:08 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 10.03.2004 schrieb sid um 21:56:
> Hi
>
> I don't know what's wrong with your configuration but,
> In my configuration :
> - samba is wins server - lacal master=yes - oslevel=255 - prefered

for WINS server see below

> master=yes
>  because i have several workgroups : domain master = yes -> samba
> becomes PDC ( ! caution : only one PDC ! )

domain master and thus PDC role - while this is not all you need to set
up to get a PDC with Samba! - is not needed for simpel SMB workgroups.

> - win box
> server wins point towards samba

A WINS server is only necessary if you have different subnets. The WINS
server then makes the differents subnets visible for each other in
browse list. (WINS is a Microsoft invention.)

>  netbios over tcp/ip is actived
>
> and i have no problème
> and i think it's better than win2k server  an xp stations, for
> exploration of workgroup or domain. But not for the administation.

Both systems work together with Samba in a simple workgroup
configuration setup.

> Perseverance
>
> Jean-François

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 22:17:18 up 1 day, 22:36, load average: 0.10, 0.23, 0.29
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]