XP/ FC1 on inspiron 5150

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Mar 10 22:47:40 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 10.03.2004 schrieb Pierre De Boeck um 23:13:
> Ok, thanks a lot for the clear explainations.
>
> And can I suppose that this procedure is general whatever
> the driver I install?

> > > - what is the general step-by-step procedure to recompile
> > > a kernel.
> >
> > cd /usr/src/linux
> > make xconfig
> > make dep
> > make bzImage
> > make modules
> > make modules_install (as root)
> > cp -p /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25
> > cp -p System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.25
> > vi /etc/grub.conf
> > reboot

No, it it simply not always the same. Most drivers do not need a
modified or vanilla kernel installed. They only need the kernel source
to be installed, which means unpackaged.

As long as you do not exactly know what to do for kernel compilation and
in detail not _why_ I can not recommend you build up your own kernel.

If you need help with a specific driver just port to this list and I am
sure you can get help without the need to massively modify FC1.

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

There are several entries for your type of laptop.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 23:42:57 up 2 days, 2 users, load average: 0.13, 0.17,
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]