Kernel Upgrade Help needed!

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Mar 10 23:29:02 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 11.03.2004 schrieb Chadley Wilson um 00:09:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am most definitly a newbie with this topic.
>
> I have read a lot on vanilla kernels and custome kernels and 2.6 and all
> that.
>
> So I'm the dot here.
> If I want to upgrade my kernel without the total distruction of my
> system, and I say this because lots of people say the have never had any
> trouble with it.
>
> When I try to compile it is always a disaster and ends up with a reload.
>
> Since I am behind a firwall I will never get to use apt or yum or
> UP2date working [I dont know why]. Never could get them working and
> believe me I had many PCs in that time and all the advice from the lists
> has made no impact.

As long as the firewall let you access websites (http) you can use tools
like yum or up2date. Ask your firewall admin which settings are needed
to go through the wall.

> What I need to know is, is there a really really easy way to to this?

For what reason do you want to compile your own kernel? If it is just
the problem above, then ask the admin, and up to this works just
directly download the kernel RPM from a mirror server and run "rpm -ivh
kernel-package.name.rpm".

> Chad

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 00:25:28 up 2 days, 44 users, load average: 0.15, 0.19,
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]