viruses from mailinglist

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 02:11:55 UTC 2004

Bernd Kauling wrote:

>Hello List,
>
>today we (a friend and me) recieved an eMail with a zipped windows
>executable.
>
>[eMail]
>Dear user of e-mail server "Initdefault.de",
>
>Your e-mail account  has been temporary disabled because  of
>unauthorized access.
>
>For details  see  the  attached file.
>
>Attached file protected with the password for  security reasons.
>Password  is 40403.
>
>Kind regards,
>    The Initdefault.de  team
>http://www.initdefault.de
>[/eMail]
>

>I unpacked it and used strings on it:
>
>[code]
>1.24
>UPX!
>=`q@
>VWS?
>SV23
>	0vm
>vkU}
>#64={c
>Fc`1
>6;[,
>jd n
>/Ih
>2`d0
>VukxV4
>gE#D
>3Y(|
> @E
>davh8
>m*+k
>3R1j
>`?XRN`
>\SWh
>1hl]
>/6Ys
>?sra
>!t{5P
>!}8SnB
>9vqH
>*g^}
>.{|xJN
>8-updt
>delt	@
>jZ>{%4I
>h*kv
>o1@@
>D%fO
>-Q/R#
>e,%`
>QR6a
>}6ZB
>x<CNG
>8+c$
>E/(,@
>f'fZf;U
>PGX=
>=220;
>G+,6
>h_R+
>^p>354s]
>+}JOX
>4VD^
>r9Ko
>Qz.O
>{"H0}
><9v$<A
>:Huj.#
>@u~'#
>_ZWR
>ZB,4
>"Pjm
>%EWzWh
> [...]

Thanks for posting what was in the zip. I never opened it to see.

I was passing on the blinux-list to a couple of friends that are blind.
I had to also inform them that the zips contained a virus and not to
open the attachments.

Having the virus containing posts within the list archive is probably
not a good thing to have. If people that are running windows happen onto
the site and open the attachments, it would not help with attempting to
increase Linux usage numbers. That is, unless you tell them to download
the installation iso files, instruct them on how to burn the CDs, before
reading the archives.

I think the attachments ought to be at least dropped from the list archives.

Jim