serial util?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Mar 11 02:26:29 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:51:37AM -0800, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> >>There was a period of time that (to my knowledge) it just vanished from
> >>Redhat.  I tried keeping up with compiling it for a little while, but
> >>then I had a number of years during which I didn't need it. When I did
> >>need it again, I couldn't find it and all the docs said to use minicom,
> >>so I (erroneously, it appears) wrote it off and consigned myself to
> >>minicom.
> >>Suns have (and still do) use 'tip' instead.
> >$ whichcd kermit
> >You appear to be running Fedora Core 1.
> >I'll search for rpms for that version.
> >Searching for kermit...
> >
> >CD-3:ckermit-8.0.209-4.i386.rpm
> >SOURCE-CD-3:ckermit-8.0.209-4.src.rpm
> Yes, I know that now (it's even installed), but it wasn't to my
> knowledge part of RH7 or RH8.  It looks like it got added in RH9, but
> without some announcement (or carefully reading through the entire
> package list in my 'copious spare time') it went unnoticed (by me at
> least) until now.

For a while the kermit project had a restrictive license on the
re-distribution of c-kermit (basically you had to have a license, and
that cost money). During that period, the linux distributors couldn't
distribute it. But it was always available at www.columbia.edu/kermit.
More recently the fine folks at the Kermit project have modified the
license tomake it permissible for free-software distributors to include
it in their packages.

> I wanted to make a point of it because
> 1) I find minicom slightly frustrating to use
> 2) Others may have also not known of it's return

The "return" is only a return to the linux distributions. kermit
actually never went anywhere, has always been available from the
kermit project for anyone who wanted to go get it.