Downgrading from RHEL

Tom Ryan tomryan at camlaw.rutgers.edu
Thu Mar 11 04:35:30 UTC 2004

as a followup, this info is available at the following rh website

http://www.redhat.com/licenses/

of course, IANAL, but it seems pretty clear to me :)

Tom

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Tom Ryan wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Michael Mansour wrote:
>
> > Hi Andre,
>
> > It's my understanding (after attending a Red Hat
> > seminar on the issue) that RHEL 3 is free software and
> > always will be, what you're paying for is the support.
> > So technically speaking, you can run RHEL on as many
> > servers as you want, fully licensed, but the support
> > that you pay for is what provides you with the
> > patches.
> >
> > So again it's my understanding (correct me if I'm
> > wrong please), you can run RHEL on as many servers as
> > you want, and only pay for one subscription to grab
> > the patches you need, or, if you choose not to renew a
> > subscription, grab the patches you need from someone
> > who lets you.
>
> I think if you read the TOS, you will see that it prohibits this. There's
> nothing to stop you from downloading the SRPMS, compiling them and
> setting up your own system based on the resultant RPMS, but, downloading
> them from RHN through a service agreement on one machine and then
> installing them on another, is a no no..
>
> I don't have the exact site handy, but I'm sure a 5 minute look at
> www.redhat.com would have answered this question correctly :)
>
> Tom
>

> > Michael.
> >

> > Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo! Movies.
> > http://au.movies.yahoo.com

Tom Ryan                                            Voice: 856-225-6361
Consulting System Administrator                       Fax: 856-969-7900
Rutgers School of Law - Camden