Grub problem

Denham Eva EVAD at TFMC.co.za
Thu Mar 11 09:28:08 UTC 2004

Try this:
--- /etc/grub.conf ---
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
#splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core 1 (2.4.xx-xxx)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.xx-xxxx ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.xx-xxxx.img
title Windowx XYZ
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1
	makeactive
	boot
--- cut ---
Replacing the xx-xxxx with the actual kernel version. If you have
no separate /boot partition, you'll have to add '/boot' to kernel
and initrd files. The empty grub prompt makes me think that you
have no grub.conf file at all.

ps: /etc/grub.conf is a symlink to ../boot/grub/grub.conf
ps: pinfo grub -> Booting -> OS-specific notes -> DOS/Windows

..................................................<

Hello,

Thank you for your answer, however lastnight I discovered that the Fedora was beyond the 1024 limit of the BIOS.
So I ended up reinstalling the PC.
I created a root partition of Fedora /dev/hda1, then loaded Windows XP and then Fedora. I set up GRUB to install on /dev/hda1(the fedora root partition) as my googling yesterday shows there could be a problem with writing it directly to MBR. Everything went just great, until I rebooted the system. Now Windows XP boots up instead of GRUB.
Went to bed frustrated and irritated, woke up realizing that it could be that the active partition is probably /dev/hda2 (Windows XP).
So I plan to this evening to set, /dev/hda1 as active.

Does anyone know off hand from this senario if this is the solution?
Otherwise I'll let you know tomorrow.

Appreciate the email.
Denham