Strange problem with crond

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 11 10:32:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 05:06:01PM +0100, dballester at kernpharma.com wrote:

> backup script of my own, and sends report mails. All runs ok but in one
> machine never runs.
>
>       The script runs well if launched by hand as root. But if I make an
> entry in the root crontab .... never occurs.
>
>       Taking a look to the /var/log/cron I can see this message:
>
>       "Mar 10 15:54:00 INFOPICK crond[13011]: (tmp.12197) ORPHAN (no passwd
> entry)"

No passwd entry.
Check the pass word  files involved.

Local /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow as well as any invoked directly
or implied in the script.

Include interaction with stuff like the  MAILTO environment variable  in crontab.
Perhaps you placed a file in /var/spool/cron for which there is no user name
in the passwd file.

        if (strcmp(fname, "*system*") && !(pw = getpwnam(uname))) {
                /* file doesn't have a user in passwd file.
                 */
                log_it(fname, getpid(), "ORPHAN", "no passwd entry");
                goto next_crontab;
        }

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l