Why FC-2?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Mar 11 13:07:45 UTC 2004

Viktor Chupryna wrote:

>> As a matter of interest, what do you do after backing up your old /etc ?
>> Do you just over-write the new /etc ?
>
> Not necessarily. You should pick and choose what configuration files you
> want to keep from the old /etc. For example, if you've already customized
> your old /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, you may want that back, or
> /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/groups if you want to keep your old users
> passwords and groups the same.

It seems to me that this would take ages,
and would entirely destroy the argument that it is "simpler" to re-install.

I've always upgraded (including RH-9 to Fedora-1)
and found it worked perfectly well.

I had a serious hardware problem on my third-best computer the other day,
and had to re-install.
I found re-configuring the machine a little time-consuming.
(The default firewall settings needed a few changes.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366